Believe it or not, there are some major technical differences between laptops that can easily make or break your media viewing experience.
If you’re an enthusiast for watching your TV, Netflix, and movies in the best possible way then we’ll be happy to point out the benefits of each laptop to do just that.
Better yet, you’ll find a range of laptops that suit all budget levels meaning you can get a great Netflix experience regardless of the laptop you decide to go for.
Before we get started with the laptops though, here’s a list of features that are usually important for a good viewing experience.
What to look out for (Advantageous features for video streaming)
- Refresh Rate – Higher refresh rates are measured in hertz (Hz); the higher the refresh rate, the smoother the image.
- Panel Technology – Modern screen technology advents such as OLED, QLED, and even advances in LCD tech can be beneficial for better clarity and color reproduction. Most laptops still use TN or IPS (both LCD) panels, though, IPS is generally better for videos.
- Screen Size – Screen size doesn’t affect the image quality per se but it can be something to consider depending on how and where you’re going to be using your laptop to watch things.
- Resolution – A higher resolution usually brings better image clarity and more details.
- Battery Life – Watching videos can drain battery life quickly so it’s better to choose something with a bigger battery life if you’re not going to be plugged in often.
- Connection Speed – No matter how good your laptop is, if you’re not getting a fast enough download speed then you won’t always be able to stream in high quality HD or UHD.
Top 8 Best Laptops for Netflix and Video Streaming
In case you didn’t want to read the full laptop reviews, here is a quick summary of each laptop and who they’re suitable for.
Top 8 Best Netflix Laptop Quick Summary
- Acer Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop – Best Laptop for Netflix and Gaming
- HP 17.3″ – Best Laptop for Netflix and Professional Use
- MacBook Air – Best Laptop for Netflix on Apple OS
- ASUS ZenBook 13 – Best Laptop for Netflix Using OLED Screen Technology
- GIGABYTE AERO 15 – Best Laptop for Netflix in 4K
- Apple MacBook Pro 16 – Best High-End Laptop for Netflix on Apple OS
- Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15 – Best Laptop for Netflix on a Budget
- HP Notebook 15 – Best No-Frills Laptop for Netflix
Specs: Intel i7-11800H | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU | 15.6″ Full HD 144Hz 3ms IPS Display | 16GB DDR4 | 512GB SSD | Killer WiFi 6 | RGB Keyboard
If you need a laptop that can deliver an outstanding Netflix experience combined with the specs to push some serious games, then look no further than the Acer Predator Helios 300.
First up, it delivers a huge 144Hz refresh rate meaning it’ll maintain a smooth image regardless of how fast-paced the action on screen is.
This is especially important when if you watch lots of action movies as they typically jump from frame to frame quite fast — without a fast refresh rate you may notice tearing.
Not only that, but it also features an IPS panel which is an advanced form of LCD technology that will deliver crisp blacks and colors that pop.
You’ll also be happy to know that it features a Killer WiFi 6 module meaning it’ll maintain an excellent WiFi connection to deliver the speeds you need to stream in UHD.
Outside of that, and as a gamer, you’ll also be really impressed by the high specs as it features an RTX 3060 that’ll drive even the latest games at high frame rates — you also get the pleasure of having ray-tracing support for cutting edge games.
You also have an 11th gen Intel processor, 16GB of DDR4 ram, and a sizeable SSD for fast load times meaning it should handle basically anything you can throw at it.
The only caveats include the cost, though, this is justified if you’re going to be using it as a gaming machine as well — in comparison to other gaming laptops, this is actually toward the cheaper end of the spectrum relative to the specs it delivers.
You probably won’t be wanting to use it off charge much either as the battery will die quickly due to the powerful hardware.
Pros and Cons
- High refresh rate (great for smooth video playback and gameplay)
- IPS screen panel delivers deeper blacks and colors that pop
- Powerful specs and ray-tracing for the latest games
- Cheap in comparison to other gaming laptops
- Battery will drain quick off charge due to the powerful specs
Specs: FHD 1080P IPS Laptop, 11th Gen Intel 4-Core i5-1135G7(up to 4.2 GHz), 12GB DDR4-3200MHz, 512GB PCIe SSD, HD Stereo Speakers, Intel Iris Xe Graphics, WiFi, HDMI, Webcam, Win10 S
Review: This latest offering from HP is the perfect choice for any professional who needs a great laptop for both viewing qualities and to perform necessary work tasks.
It features a large 17.3″ IPS screen meaning you’re getting plenty of screen space to watch your Netflix and also so you can browse any large documents with heightened visibility.
Similar to some other high-end offerings, IPS technology means you’re getting a glossy screen rather than a matte finish which means it’ll offer deeper blacks and bolder colors which are perfect for watching media.
Outside of the visual aspects, this laptop also features powerful hardware specs such as an 11th gen quad-core processor, 12GB DDR4 RAM, and even a superfast 512GB PCIe SSD for quick boot and load times.
Basically, it will chew through anything you can throw at it such as video editing, music production, and image manipulation.
The only drawback that we could find was that the larger screen size will typically drain the battery a little faster than a smaller screen laptop; for that reason, we recommend using this as a desktop replacement rather than a portable option.
Pros and Cons:
- High-end specs for professional usecases e.g. video editing, image manipulation, and music production
- IPS screen technology for deep blacks and brilliant colors that make watching Netflix a great experience
- Large 17″ screen for extra viewing space and heightened visibility
3. MacBook Air – Best Laptop for Netflix on Apple OS
Specs: Apple M1 Chip, 13” Retina Display, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD Storage, Backlit Keyboard, FaceTime HD Camera, Touch ID, Stereo Speakers
The MacBook Air is a class act when it comes to using premium display technology that can deliver one of the best Netflix viewing experiences.
It features the Apple Retina display which is known for its glossy, almost glass-like look, that can deliver deep blacks and brilliantly bold colors.
It’s also set to a QHD (2K) resolution meaning it’ll look sharper than the average laptop for this price point — this is great for utilizing higher streaming qualities for sharper video images.
Better yet, it’s one of the lightest laptops we know meaning it’s ultra-portable, and combined with the new M1 processor, it manages to offer a decent battery life too.
In our opinion, this offers a great combination between portability, functionality, viewing pleasure, and the ability to use the MAC OS.
As with any Apple product, it is a little bit expensive for the specs you get, though, the screen technology is second to none which makes it perfect as your Netflix viewing machine.
Pros and Cons:
- Apple OS
- Apple Retina display is one of the best on the market
- QHD 2K resolution for higher streaming quality
- Long battery life and very portable
- No fan noise
- A little expensive compared to the specs
4. ASUS ZenBook 13 – Best Laptop for Netflix Using OLED Screen Technology
Specs: Ultra-Slim Laptop, 13.3” OLED FHD NanoEdge Bezel Display, Intel Core i5-1135G7, 8GB LPDDR4X RAM, 256GB SSD, NumberPad, Thunderbolt 4, Wi-Fi 6, Windows 10 Home
Some things are just made for watching Netflix on, and that couldn’t be more true for this latest offering from ASUS.
That’s because the ZenBook 13 takes advantage of OLED screen technology meaning you’ll get true blacks (unlike LCD) and will have better color reproduction too.
In fact, having an OLED panel in a laptop is still a rarity and because of this, we were actually surprised to see how competitive it was price-wise.
In case you didn’t know, OLED panels can switch off individual pixels meaning what you’re seeing is actually a true black because there’s no lighting going to it — this prevents the white glare that you’ll often see on LCD panels even on a black image.
Essentially then, if you’re an enthusiast for the best possible viewing experience then there’s simply nothing better than OLED at the moment for viewing quality.
The specs aren’t to scoff at either as it comes with plenty of RAM, a powerful quad-core processor, a decent-sized SSD, and even some cool features like the number pad that’s built into the touchpad.
As well as that, it’s extremely portable and slimline meaning you can take it on your commutes with you too.
Pros and Cons:
- Uses an OLED panel which is one of the best screen technologies
- True black color reproduction
- Sleek design
- Competitively priced
5. GIGABYTE AERO 15 – Best Laptop for Netflix in 4K
Specs: 15.6″ UHD 4k AMOLED IPS, Intel Core i7, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Laptop GPU 8GB GDDR6, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Win10 Pro, Creator Laptop
If you’ve got money to burn and need the best possible quality then you can’t go wrong with the GIGABYTE AERO 15.
Not only does it feature cutting-edge hardware, but it also features bleeding-edge screen technology in the way of a Samsung AMOLED panel clocked in at 4K resolution.
This is definitely towards the ultimate end of the scale in terms of what’s possible on a laptop so if you need something that’s going to last at least ten years then this is a great shout.
It’ll also support the most demanding production software such as Cubase, Sony Vegas, and After Effects thanks to the top-of-the-line graphics card and processor.
Better yet, if you enjoy playing games in your off time then you’ll be able to tear through anything with the RTX 3080 and it won’t even blink.
This is a serious powerhouse and should be treated as a long-term investment for something you’ll be using fairly often, or even as a full desktop replacement.
Pros and Cons:
- Bleeding-edge Samsung AMOLED 4K panel
- Ultra-grade specs
- Ray-tracing support for latest games
6. Apple MacBook Pro 16 – Best High-End Laptop for Netflix on Apple OS
Specs: 16 inches – 16 GB RAM – Intel i7 9th Gen CPU – 1.0 TB storage – Mac OS – Intel UHD Graphics 630 – Six-speaker system with force-canceling woofers – 3072×1920 resolution
Review: Again, another Apple MacBook is in the running, but this time we have the MacBook Pro 16.
The MacBook Pro is great for anyone wanting a permanent workstation in their home that can act in place of a full desktop solution.
For Netflix, it features a UHD resolution to take advantage of UHD streaming options, and it also comes with a glossy IPS panel to make your movies pop.
Along with that, you also get access to six powerful speakers that are built into the laptop to bring you an efficient audio experience.
If that isn’t enough, you’ll also be happy to know that Apple has certified this laptop to support up to two 6K monitors meaning you can enhance your viewing experience even further if you wish.
To drive all of this goodness, you’ll find a powerful i7 processor under the hood along with 16GB of RAM.
For most applications and streaming, this will slice through them with ease.
As with most Apple MAC products, the laptop is rather expensive for the tech specs you’re getting, though again, the screen technology totally makes up for it as it’s second to none.
Pros and Cons:
- Beautiful Retina IPS Display
- Sufficient Speakers
7. Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15 – Best Laptop for Netflix on a Budget
Specs: 15.6″ FHD (1920 x 1080) 120 Hz Display, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H Processor, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD Storage, Windows 10H, 82K20015US, Shadow Black
So you may be wondering what a gaming laptop is doing in the budget section, but truth be told, gaming laptops have all the necessary features to support a great viewing experience and can often be found for a reasonable price these days.
That’s because the Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 comes with an IPS display running in HD meaning you’re getting a decent panel in comparison to the cost.
It’s unlikely you’ll be able to spend less money on a laptop that offers this kind of display technology, hence why we’ve listed it as our cheapest option.
It also includes a 120 Hz refresh rate meaning even the fastest action scenes will look buttery smooth in comparison to other budget laptops.
You’ll also have a few other perks such as a dedicated graphics card, a powerful Ryzen 5 quad-core processor, and plenty of RAM to keep you chugging along in even the most demanding games.
The only caveat is that gaming laptops tend to drain the battery rather quickly meaning you’ll need to keep it charged frequently if you’re on the move.
Other than that, this is an absolute bargain and totally worth considering if you want an awesome Netflix machine.
Pros and Cons:
- High-end IPS Display
- Cutting-edge 120 Hz refresh rate
- Powerful specs
- Drains battery quickly
8. HP Notebook 15 – Best No-Frills Laptop for Netflix
Specs: 15.6″ Full HD IPS Screen, Intel Celeron N4020 Processor, 8GB DDR4 Memory, 128GB SSD, 1-Year Microsoft Office 365, Webcam, Type-C, RJ-45, HDMI, Windows 10 Home, Black
If you’re really not looking to spend much money then there’s no better option than the latest HP Notebook 15.
That’s because it comes with an IPS display which is often a rarity in laptops priced this low.
This means you’ll still get a decent viewing experience in terms of good color reproduction and deep blacks.
In fact, for the money, the specs aren’t too bad either, but you’ll probably be limited to general things such as streaming, internet browsing, and social media.
Things like games won’t run very well on this machine due to the lack of dedicated GPU and relatively weak processor, that’s why we think it can be worth spending the extra money to go for the Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 (above) if you plan to do anything like that.
Outside of that, it comes with plenty of connectivity options if you want to hook it up to a monitor and it’ll also support USB accessories too.
We also like the design of the laptop and the keyboard layout for ease of use.
Pros and Cons:
- IPS Display for better colors
- Won’t run games well
Here are some related articles that may be of interest to you.
- Is Netflix a Hobby? The Answer Might Surprise You (+3 Awesome Facts About Netflix)
- 13 Most Useful Desk Accessories for Gamers (Enhance Your Deskspace Now)
- Best Ryzen Laptop Under $500 – Top 7 (Great for Productivity and Gaming)
If you found this article helpful, don’t forget to bookmark our homepage for more hobby updates, product reviews, and general advice in relation to entertainment and activities.